Going on a successful hunt with friends is something that one wants to remember. What better way to do so than to have the opportunity to mount the result of our hunts on the wall hanging from a trophy mount designed to show off our kills to their best?
Not all trophy mounts are the same. They’re made in many designs using different types of materials. It will depend on whether the mount is to be situated whether it’ll fit into the surrounding décor and “make the room” or look completely out-of-place.
For this reason, it is helpful to look at several different trophy mounts to find one that’ll perfectly suit the space where it’ll be installed.
Check out these trophy mounts:
- Mountain Mike´s Reproduction Skull Master
- Universal Skull Master Antler Mounting Kit
- Skull Hooker Men’s Little Hooker Skull Mounting Assembly
- Skull Hooker Big Hooker Skull Mount
- Walnut Hollow Country Deluxe Antler Display
1. Mountain Mike’s Reproductions Skull Master
The Mountain Mike’s Reproductions Skull Master comes as a kit that needs to be completed and mounted yourself. The product is available in either medium or large size which is unusual for a mount and good to see.
The skull reproduction is white with a pointed end. The bottom skull is provided, plug a gap filler tube and some mounting screws to apply this Skull Master product to a wall or mounting plate.
- Pre-made skull ready to hang up
- Comes with all the hardware necessary
- Realistic-looking skull
- Hangs a single antler with ease
- Screws provided are longer than one might expect
Designed to hang either shed antlers or other types of antlers, the kit provided makes it easy to hang new antlers when they are scored.
The Universal Skull Master Antler Mounting Kit from Mountain Mike is a delightfully styled one with a snow camo appearance that brings out the design when mounted on the wall.
The contrast of the snow camo with the darker antlers once attached creates a startling appearance that it sure to grab the attention of anyone walking into the hunting room or the den.
- Awesome snow-capped camo
- Two top skull sections provided to manage antlers of different sizes
- Positioning plate included
- Sometimes the screws are missing from the package
- Made in China
Along with the skull itself, a bracket is also provided to help position the skull correctly so it’ll be level once the antlers are also attached. There are two top skull pieces included handling different pedicle sizes.
3. Skull Hooker Men’s Little Hooker Skull Mounting Assembly, Black
The Skull Hooker Men’s Little Hooker Skull Mounting Assembly is a simpler affair than some of the other mounts under review. Essentially it is designed with a wall mount, a European mounting bracket, and a basic protruding hook (read.. best cameras for filming your hunting adventures).
The design is colored in black to suit African and North American deer and other game. The mount is adjustable to a degree, but the back of it should not be meddled with otherwise it will not sit flat and the deer skull won’t sit at the proper angle. Along with deer, black bear, small sheep, warthogs, antelope, cougar, and other game are mountable using this product.
- Skull mounting equipment for game
- Present deer, black bear, small sheep, wart hogs, antelope, cougar and other game skulls
- Protruding hook that rotates
- Black color
- European mounting bracket provided
- The mount and the skull weigh under 4 lbs making it supportable with the right mounting equipment (not supplied).
- The product was only supplied with two screws which are not large. The protruding part of the mount requires longer, stronger screws to go deep enough into the back plate. Greater support is also required to carry the weight of the skull. Drywall screws maybe required.
- Made in China
Once the skull is mounted on, only part of the arm and the base is still shown. The arm is rotatable, so it’s possible to mount it in the corner and adjust the direction that skull is presented.
The Skull Hooker Big Hooker Skull Mount is ideal to put trophy skulls on display in the room. The mount is designed to fit behind the skull and hold it in place. The body of the product has been coated with a protective powder to keep its appearance as long as possible.
- Skull Mount for the wall
- Rotating arm moves on a single axis
- Prong sticks out and will go through a hole in the skull; not always necessary to drill the skull to mount it
- Adjustable angle for the skull prong
- Easily mount skulls from bear, moose, elk, steer, bison, stag, and buffalo
- Available in brown and black colors
- Low-quality screws that are unable to support the skull mount for any period of time without snapping in half. Replace immediately with higher-quality screws to avoid damaging the product.
- Made in China
The skull mount is suitable for bear, moose, elk, steer, bison, stag, and even buffalo. The mount is adjustable in five positions to change the ankle that the skull will hang.
The protruding prong is designed to slot through a skull without needing to drill it first. The arm itself turns on an axis to allow a change in the direction for display purposes.
5. Walnut Hollow Country Deluxe Antler Display Mounting Kit in Solid Pine for Mule Deer & Whitetail Deer
The Walnut Hollow Country Deluxe Antler Display Mounting Kit is an elaborate skull mount for several types of deer. The main parts are produced from sturdy pine with the back wooden plaque shaped like an award and the front antler mount being secured to it by top and bottom screws.
The pinewood is put together using strips that are color-matched for sustainability. The stand is ideal for both whitetail deer and mule deer.
The antler cover has a velvet appearance to create a luxury appearance. When fully assembled, the mount’s dimensions are 12-inches by 9-inches by 2.88-inches. There are several places to hang a skull on the mount. Its appearance is weathered and looks real either close-up or from a distance.
Rather than using a mount that looks inexpensive, this one screams quality through and through. The individual parts have been CNC machined to create a dependable perfect fit every time. The mounting kit includes a pair of long screws, the velvet finish, and everything else needed to fit this trophy mount to the wall.
- Elaborate skull mount
- CNC machine cut parts for exact sizing
- Satin velvet and gold cord for a perfect finish
- American pine wood matched per strip for best results
- Made by a family business in the USA
- Care must be taken when mounting a skull using screws. The pine plate is made from several pieces and can split when put under duress.
The pinewood comes from American woodlands. The whole product is made in the USA and the business is family-owned.
The field for the best trophy mount is fairly split between ones that are antler mounts and those that are skull mounts.
Going one step further, a few mounts are more elaborate with higher-quality wood and finishes used whereas others are more basic and likely to not last as long.
Looking beyond the individual models, it was often found that the mounting screws were either too short or too weak to hold both the mount and the skull or antlers successfully for any period of time.
Swapping out the screws for longer, stronger ones is strongly advised to avoid subsequent damage to either the mount and/or what’s been mounted on it.
Last update on 2020-11-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API