Recurve bows have been in use for centuries across many civilizations in defense of lands, castles, forts and the people who resided there.
Today, these types of bows feature in archery competitions and for personal use by keen archers who are interested in keeping up the tradition of using a recurve bow rather than one with a newer design.
Here are our vintage recurve bow recommendations:
A vintage recurves bow is one that retains the classic appearance and functionality of the traditional recurve type. Made to many of the same specifications, the attractiveness of using this kind of bow is the simplicity of the archer embracing the tradition of releasing arrows from a classic bow.
Unlike with newer types of bows, the archer is restricted to using their power within to drive the firing speed rather than a fancy pulley system creating greater tension to boost the speed of the arrow through the air to its intended target.
To some extent, this evens out the playing field to “Who is the best archer?” rather than “Who has the best equipment” which certainly presents more of a challenge during friendly (or serious) competitions.
1. IRQ Traditional Bow Hunting Handmade Archery RecurveCheck Latest Price
The IRQ Traditional Bow Hunting Handmade Archery Recurve Bow has a Mongolian style for hunting. This longbow has a distinctive outward appearance with a patterned leather print design on the limb and a riser with an alternating wrapped pattern.
The handmade limb combines elements of wood and fiberglass for both strength and durability in severe weather.
- Mongolian bow appearance, leather print design
- Sturdily built with wood and fiberglass for strength
- Length: 53.5-inches; String length 50-inches
- Draw weight models from 30 to 50lbs in 5lbs increments
- Works with hunting or target shooting
- Handmade with care
- Includes a black finger tab
- Designed to be fired by left-handed and right-handed shooters
- Minimized vibration post-release
- Mongolian design won’t be to everyone’s taste
- Being handmade, no one bow will identically match the next
- Requires the removal of the shipping string and the installation of the firing string before use
- Requires removal of the firing string after each bow shooting session to ensure the longevity of the bow
The bow length is a comfortable 53.5-inches, and the string length is 50-inches. The draw weight is selectable between different models at purchase from 3lbs to 50lbs, in five-pound increments. A black finger tab is also provided to avoid injury and steady the hand before bow release.
2. IRQ Archery Hunting Bows Wooden Bows with Arrows Traditional Recurve BowCheck Latest Price
The IRQ Archery Hunting Bows is a Mongolian horse bow with a classic look and appeal. The bow is handmade using wood, a resin designed for hunting bow strength, with a cow’s leather, colored in brown, strategically placed. The overall look is clearly vintage.
- Mongolian horse bow design using wood, resin, and cow’s leather
- Attractive, distinctive appearance
- Bow Length: 54-inches; bow length: 32-inches
- Draw weight between 30lbs and 65lbs; selectable via the model (unusually wide draw weight options)
- Six wooden arrows (32-inch) with silver broadheads (100 grain) and fletches made of feather
- Excellent option for both beginners and advanced archers
- Suitable for bow hunting and target shooting alike
- The coloring may appeal to men more than women
The bow length is 54-inches (once the bowstring is present), draw length is 32-inches, with a draw weight that’s selectable with the model from 30lbs to 65lbs, in 5lb increments.
Read more about our recommended fletching glue
The optional draw weight beyond 50lbs is quite unusual and will appeal to stronger archers who wish to fire faster and farther.
The model comes with five wooden arrows (32-inch length) with 5-inch fletches as a lovely brown patterned feather and silver broadhead tops (100 grain).
3. Buffalo Hunting Bow Handmade Recurve Horsebow Longbow for AdultsCheck Latest Price
The Buffalo Hunting Bow set enjoys distinct coloring with sections in patterned red, cream, white, and a darker riser in the center. The red Cobra cover resembles snakeskin. The style of this bow is unique and stands out from a crowded field of similar-looking alternatives.
The bow is handmade from wood and fiberglass and made exclusively for adults. Being handmade, there is a degree of chromatism between each product, but it’s minor.
- Attractive red cobra cover
- Wood and fiberglass construction
- Two paper targets and one arrow rest for a recurve bow provided
- Might be difficult to find suitable arrows to match
- Description is a bit misleading – there are NO arrows included!
It has a draw length of 75cm. The draw length is between 30lbs and 65lbs depending on the bow model selected. The product goes up by a 5lb draw weight differential between models. The design of the product makes it useable for people who are left-handed or right-handed.
The package includes a bonus recurve arrow rest and two paper targets to put up and use for target practice. The bow itself is useful both for target practice and bow hunting in the wild.
4. Junxing Recurve Bow 20-32lb Outdoor Hunting American Hunting LongbowCheck Latest Price
The Junxing Recurve bow looks quite different to the others in this collection. The takedown recurve is made from maple wood with fiberglass added for strength. The surface is laminated to avoid early damage during first use.
Other than the light-brown colored grip, the remainder of the bow is black. Stealthy bow hunting is clearly possible with this American outdoor hunting model. There is also a finger guard positioned on the string to help with each arrow release.
- Maple wood and fiberglass laminated American hunting bow
- Dark appearance
- Bow Lenght: 68-inches
- Draw Weight: choose from 20-24-28-32 lbs (let them know when ordering!)
- Finger guard on the string to avoid injury when releasing the arrow
- Darker coloring and shape may not appeal to all hunters
Unlike with other models, the draw weight is selectable here. The draw weight is then set between 20 to 32 lbs depending on the strength of the hunter. The bow length is 68-inches and the maximum draw length is 32-inches.
5. SAS Pioneer Traditional Wood Long BowCheck Latest Price
The SAS Pioneer Traditional Wood Long Bow is an appealing product that harks back to simpler times.
Its brown appearance from the combination of maple wood combined with fiberglass on the limb and both Cassia Siamea and Makore wood for the riser work perfectly together. The bow is intended only for right-handed archers.
- Interesting mix of maple wood, fiberglass, Cassia Siamea and Makore wood
- Simple unfussy brown bow appearance
- 68-inch bow for taller, stronger archers
- Draw weight fixed between 25 to 30lbs
- Bow grip suitable for smaller or larger hands
- Right-handed archers only
- Bow may be too long for some people to handle, particularly women
- No finger guard
The draw weight is selected by a model with the option from 35lbs to 55lbs. The longer 68-inch bow length is significantly larger than other alternatives to deliver greater power. The added length brings improved balance and stability while firing.
Another great longbow is the oryx 68 longbow from PSE
Popular “Regular” Recurve Bows
Each bow has its own design elements that set it apart from other choices in the above collection. Some models stick to tried and true brown wooden designs whereas others opt for a busier Mongolian bow appearance.
The occasional product also includes a few arrows sporting a similar design to the bow limb. Not every bow offers the same draw weight either.
Everyday Recurve Bows
Yes, vintage bows are awesome and fun to shoot! Hunters around the world have been using this popular recurves a lot. If you are looking for an excellent takedown recurve bow read our article about the Keshes Takedown Recurve Bow.
Some products have models with different draw weights, but in other cases, customers are provided a single model with limited draw weight.
Last update on 2021-10-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API